Saturday, August 27, 2011

why "bring a little bread"?


If you know me, you probably know that I'm not exactly into overt religious expression. It doesn't bother me so much when other people tell me how they feel about God, but I usually refrain from reciprocating.

And, if you know me, you also probably know that I just started divinity school.

So. How exactly does that work?

I wish I knew. I've discovered over the last week, my first week of class, that divinity school is not just an extension of my college religion major. Already, two of my classes have required that I tell others--strangers!--about specifics of my spiritual life and religious leanings. To say this has made me uncomfortable would be quite the understatement.

Somehow, though, I know this discomfort serves a purpose. These feel like growing pains or sore muscles after a long run, not signs of injury but signs that I am stretching myself. Thus, I've decided to expand the scope of this blog.

Perhaps it was meant to be. I took the name "bring a little bread" from Genesis 18, when Abraham and Sarah welcome in three strangers for a meal. In verse 5, Abraham tells the men, "Let me bring a little bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on—since you have come to your servant." To be honest, I chose this title not only because I like the passage and what it says about hospitality, but also because it was an obscure enough reference that I didn't think anyone would realize it's biblical!

Of course, I haven't done a complete 180 in the last week. I still don't feel comfortable talking about my personal religious or spiritual views, and I don't intend the focus of this blog to shift entirely to what I'm learning about religion and about myself in school. Rather, I hope to bring my full experience to the table--not only of the food I make, but, to be just a little bit trite, of the spiritual nourishment I take in over the course of my time in divinity school, and perhaps beyond.

P.S. - That bread at the top? It's Cook's Illustrated's "almost no knead" bread. Try it; it will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment