Friday, August 5, 2011

Oh, Charleston...

...how I will miss you!
 
Thank you to my friend Christina for this lovely picture!

I leave for Nashville in less than a week, and I am in a state of disbelief. I have spent some of the best years of my life in Charleston, and I can't believe my time here is coming to an end. The funny thing is, I never expected to like it here. I planned to be in Charleston for a year, two max, yet here we are approaching three and my parents are practically having to tear me away for my move!

Let me be clear, I'm excited about Nashville and this new grad school adventure, but the change is bittersweet in the truest sense of the word. It is hard to leave such a charming, vibrant, captivating city. I won't even go into the difficulty of leaving the people who surround me here--you (and hopefully, you know who you are) have filled my life here with love and laughter and genuine connection. I can't thank you enough.

Okay, enough with the sappy stuff--this is a food blog, after all, and the purpose of this post is to share with you some of my favorite food/drink finds in Charleston. I'm not attempting a comprehensive list and am naturally predisposed to sandwiches and pizza (as you'll see), but it's a start! Even so, I hope it helps you discover some new gems. These places are all very affordable, which is a bonus...and one of the reasons why they're all on my list of favorites!

The Bagel Shop:  Great bagels, better coffee, best sandwiches.
Bin 152:  A lovely little wine bar with a host of offerings by the bottle and glass, plus generous and relatively inexpensive cheese plates.
Black Bean Co.:  A wide selection of wraps and pitas (the best value), and my favorite yogurt and granola in Charleston.
EVO:  I generally don't eat "meat lovers" anything, but for their pork trifecta I gladly make an exception. I love pizza, and EVO does it right.
Gene's Haufbrau:  An unrivaled beer selection and greasy (but good!) bar food to go along with it.
GrazeOne of the few places I'll venture to Mt. Pleasant for...have only been for lunch, but I'm sure dinner is equally fantastic! 
The Kickin' Chicken:  Okay, so their food isn't that great. I've gone to trivia here practically every week for two years, though, so I just had to put it on here. Oh, and cheese pretzels...get them.
Macaroon Boutique:  French pastries and breads made by French people...always a good choice. They recently added a second location that focuses on lunch, and I've heard good things.
Mellow Mushroom:  This is a southern chain, but I just want to say how happy I am that they have a location across the street from the Vanderbilt campus.
Nirlep:  I have to admit that I've only been here once, about a week ago. Indian restaurants are few and far between in Charleston, though, and my experience at this one was top-notch.
Santi's:  margaritas.
Sermet's Corner:  This is a sentimental favorite for many reasons. Food is hit-or-miss, but I like the atmosphere. My mom always orders the chicken with butternut squash ravioli, and it never disappoints.
Sugar Bakeshop:  So cute, and great baked goods to boot. If I'm not baking my own cookies, cakes, etc., I get them from here.
Ted's Butcherblock:  Anyone who knows me knows of my love for Ted's. Great sandwiches, high-quality meats, cheeses, and other gourmet treats, monthly beer dinners, Friday night $5 wine tastings and $12 dinners, a bacon of the month club (!)...the list goes on and on. Probably my favorite place in Charleston.

Now, I just have to start looking into the (cheap) Nashville food scene. Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment