Wednesday, August 3, 2011

fig & walnut cinnamon rolls

Oh my gosh, I LOVE figs. Fresh ones have been hard to come by this season, so I've only had a precious few thus far...but if I could, I think I would eat them every day.

preferably over Greek yogurt, drizzled with honey.

I can't, though, so I have to make do with dried figs, fig preserves, perhaps even the occasional fig newton. Since I'm moving out in just over a week, so I am currently trying to eat every food item I have in my apartment (a gallon of nutritional yeast, anyone?). One of those items was a jar of fig preserves, barely touched since I bought it to pair with a wedge of brie a couple months ago.

After very little deliberation, I decided to make a healthier version of cinnamon rolls. This was determined partly by my love for all things sweet and breakfast-y, and partly by the walnuts in my freezer, the half-block of cream cheese in my fridge, and the three bags of powdered sugar in my pantry. I told you I was dead-set on eating everything...at least I didn't try to incorporate the nutritional yeast.

The resulting rolls were sweet, sticky, and wheaty enough to make me feel like I was eating something marginally healthy for breakfast (I wasn't). Even though I've painted this recipe as a pantry-cleaning endeavor, these buns are worth making regardless of your aim. I think they'll be an even better winter breakfast, when figs aren't in season, I want to eat warm and nutty things all the time, and it doesn't matter what I look like in a swimsuit. 

fig & walnut cinnamon rolls
makes 12 small rolls
per bun:  229.1 cal, 7.1g fat, 37.8g carb, 2.5g fiber, 5.0g protein, 6+ weight watchers

ingredients:
filling:
   1/2 c fig preserves, room
      temperature
   1/2 c chopped toasted walnuts
   1 tsp ground cinnamon
dough:
   1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
   1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
   2 tbsp sugar
   1 1/4 tsp baking powder
   1/2 tsp baking soda
   1/2 tsp salt
   1 1/4 c nonfat milk
   3 tbsp butter, melted and divided
glaze:
   1/2 c powdered sugar
   2 tbsp light cream cheese, softened
   1 tbsp nonfat milk

instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 9" round pan with cooking spray. Combine fig preserves, walnuts, and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.

Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine two tablespoons of melted butter with milk in a medium bowl, and add to dry ingredients. Mix to form a ball of dough, then turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.

Form dough into a roughly 9 x 12" rectangle and brush with remaining melted butter. Spread preserve and walnut mixture over surface. Roll long side of dough into a pinwheel and cut into 12 rolls.

Place rolls in pan, cover with foil, and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-12 minutes more, or until rolls are light brown and filling looks caramelized.

Prepare glaze: using a mixer set to medium, mix together powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and buttermilk. Pour glaze over warm rolls and serve.

2 comments:

  1. These look SO good!! Do you find the dough rises fine with just the baking powder/baking soda? I've only used yeast recipes, which I often botch when I kill the yeast... so if these rise equally well maybe I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're not quite as light and airy as yeast cinnamon rolls, since they're really a quick bread. They ARE really good, though, especially if you don't have the time to make a yeast recipe!

    ReplyDelete