Thursday, June 2, 2011

really, really easy lime bars


I can't help myself. Whenever I'm invited to any event that includes food, I immediately volunteer to bring dessert. Even when I have one free hour between the time I volunteer and the event.

Last night was one of those times. As I always do, I considered making brownies, but since it's summer and all, I thought something cool and citrusy would be better-suited to the weather. I found a few lemon/lime bar/pie recipes that looked interesting, but in the end I pretty much made up my own based on what I had in my apartment and what was easy. (In this case, "easy" meant only one cooking method [oven] and no pastry blender required for the crust.)

Overall, I was very pleased with the results. The bars' only less-than-appealing feature was their 1970s avocado green color, which resulted from my addition of two drops of green food coloring. So, I recommend skipping the food coloring, and if you want to give the bars a little color just top each of them with a small twist of lime.

really, really easy lime bars
makes 16 bars
per bar:  188.9 cal, 7.3g fat, 27.0g carb, 0.4g fiber, 3.8g  protein, 5+ weight watchers

ingredients:
1/2 c butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c old-fashioned oats
1 14-oz can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
5 large egg yolks
1/2 c lime juice (fresh preferred, but I used bottled)
Powdered sugar, for serving

instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter an 8 x 8" baking pan.. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a mixer on medium speed. Add flour and oats and mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Press mixture into pan, and place in oven (once it is preheated, of course). Bake crust for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in another medium bowl (or the same one, if you feel like washing it first), combine condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice. Mix on medium speed until combined. Pour over partially baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes more or until center is set and edges are lightly browned.

Cool on counter for half an hour, then move to refrigerator to chill. When ready to serve, sift powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment