Monday, April 4, 2011

pb & m&m cookies

Easter m&ms!
Is there a better combination than chocolate and peanut butter? If there is I haven't discovered it yet.

So, I'm kicking off my blog as well as National Baking Week with an old stand-by, peanut butter cookies studded with m&ms. This recipe is adapted from America's Test Kitchen's light peanut butter cookies, but since I didn't have Cap'n Crunch on hand I improvised a bit. Originally I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for half the all-purpose flour, but it didn't really work with the m&ms.  I would use all AP; it only costs you a fraction of a gram of fiber per serving.

pb & m&m cookies
adapted from America's Test Kitchen
makes about 30 cookies
per cookie:  105 cal, 3.8g fat, 16.2g carb, 0.5g fiber, 2.2g protein, 3+ weight watchers

ingredients:
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c peanut butter
1 1/4 c packed light brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1/2 c m&ms (I used plain, but I think peanut butter would be amazing!)

instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Combine butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Add egg whites and extract and beat until combined.

Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated.

Add m&ms and mix with a spoon until evenly distributed.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and look slightly crumbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment