Sunday, April 17, 2011

chocolate pecan caramel pralines

So, I had some leftover heavy cream in my fridge that needed to be used before my trip to Connecticut tomorrow. I'm not a big candy maker, but I had all the ingredients for this salted caramel on hand, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Not the best idea I've ever had.

I couldn't get the sugar to dissolve on medium-low heat, so after twenty minutes or so I just cranked up my stovetop to medium-high and prayed for the best. This resulted in some hybrid of caramel and praline, which wasn't what I set out to make...but hey, isn't that what trying new things is all about?

chocolate pecan caramel pralines
adapted from food52
makes about 32 candies
per candy:  88 cal, 4.4g fat, 13g carb, 0g fiber, 0.3g protein, 3+ weight watchers

ingredients:
1 1/2 c sugar
1/4 c honey
1/4 c water
1/3 c heavy cream
6 tbsp salted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 oz chocolate chips or chunks of your choice
32 pecan halves, toasted

instructions:
Line a small baking pan with parchment paper or foil (I used an 11 x 7" pan).

Combine sugar, honey, and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves or you get tired of stirring (like I did)!

Increase heat to medium high and let mixture simmer until it turns a light golden brown color, 10-15 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in cream and butter. The mixture will boil pretty profusely, but don't worry--it's supposed to! Stir in the vanilla.

Pour the caramel into the pan and sprinkle chocolate chips/chunks over it. Swirl with a knife.

Let mixture cool until it is semi-solid, and press pecans into it. Let cool completely.

Remove from pan and take off the foil or parchment paper, then cut into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment